Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips

Carbon monoxide is not something that we often think about, but this time of year it is something that is better not forgotten. As the weather outside gets colder more of us will be turning on our furnaces, and even warming up our cars inside the garage before we head out into the cold weather and we need to be mindful of the potential buildup of carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can kill you. Carbon Monoxide or CO is found in fumes anytime fuel is burned, anything from cars and trucks to appliances and furnaces. The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headaches, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach and confusion.

The best ways to keep your family safe from Carbon Monoxide is

-Have carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home and check or replace the batteries often. Make sure the detectors are in a place you will hear them, experts recommend right outside bedroom doors.

-Have your heating system and any other fuel burning appliances serviced regularly by professionals.

-Do not use grills or other cooking or heating devices designed for outdoor use inside your home. This includes generators, gas camping stoves, charcoal grills etc.

-Have your chimney checked and cleaned every year to make sure there is no build- up which would trap CO inside your home.

-Never leave your car running inside an attached garage, even with the garage door open. If you have a detached garage always leave the garage door open to let fresh air in while you run the car inside.

Skip to content